At a time when bigger is better and might is right, servo motors are “the little engine that could.”
· Positional rotation servo. The output shaft of a positional rotation servo rotates clockwise and counter-clockwise up to a maximum of 90° in each direction, providing up to 180° of total motion, depending on the application requirements.
· Continuous rotation servo. These servos can turn in either direction continuously at varying speeds, depending on the command signal given.
· Linear motion servo. Similar to the positional rotation servo, except the linear motion servo’s additional gears convert circular motion to back-and-forth motion.
How do you select the right servo motor for your application?
· Determine the required voltage and whether it’s to be an AC or DC power source.
· What is the required motion profile and speed? Does your application require positional rotation, continuous rotation or linear motion? Sequence of movements? Distance to travel? Elapsed time between moves?
· Torque. Determining the torque requirements of your servo motor can be tricky. There are numerous parameters to consider, including friction, gravity, other external forces pushing against the motor, and accelerating the mechanism’s inertia. For help determining your torque requirements, contact a servo motor supplier and repair specialist in Toronto.
· Calculate the optimal inertia ratio. This is often overlooked when selecting the ideal servo motor for a specific application, but it is arguably one of the most important criteria. You determine it by dividing the load’s initial
inertia by the motor’s rotor inertia divided by the square of the gear reduction. It is a complicated calculation and if you need help figuring it out, contact a servo motor supplier and repair specialist in Toronto.
· Choose motor and gearing. Once you have precisely determined your application’s needs, you can now select the right servo motor and gearbox combination. Call a servo motor supplier and repair specialist in Toronto to help you make your final decision.
· Select servo drives, control interfaces and other options. These control the servo motor and make it function exactly the way your application requires.